Parkinson's Law is a quote from Cyril Northcote Parkinson and it was first published in 'The Economist' in 1955. It states that:
"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."
I think this is particularly true in the context of Graphic Design, as I feel a design is never really finished. It can always be worked on, improved and evolved. In the run up to a deadline, its essential to manage your time well in order to make your work the best it can be.
Why is a deadline so important?
- Makes you budget your time
- Alows you to work out what's most important
- Once time is limited, you need to spend it wisely
- Gives you incentive, a goal to work towards
- Schedule improves productivity
- Increases work ethic and discipline
- Creates a sense of accomplishment
- Doesn't allow for procrastinating
- Prevents overload of work