The 'Professional Development' module is coming to an end and I thought it was best to reflect on what I've achieved through the module and areas that need improving in the future:
- Developed new skills, not just on the PD1 module but also in ADC.
- Increased awareness of the design industry and certain areas of design such as Advertising.
- Discovered how important 'professional practice' is to a designer. Paying attention to detail for example is essential when submitting a piece of work or sending out a CV.
- Taken risks and opportunities to develop as a designer.
The weakest part of the PD1 module has been the physical self promotional item:
- Not enough time was taken to get it up to a professional standard (time/project management)
- Strong original idea but not developed enough to a final solution
I've put together a list of goals that would help me develop as a designer and avoid errors that occurred during PD1:
- Develop the promotional item concept in PD2
- Incorporate the "James - Ambigram Logo" into the physical design
- Look into professional printing options (for example moo.com)
- Think more about the packaging of the self promotional item
- Continue to blog in free time and keep up to date with current events in the world of design
- Start the next project with more consideration for time management and planning (a more regular timetabling system)